Explore lush landscapes dotted with sparkling lakes and cities steeped in medieval history as you travel across two fascinating countries.
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 9 nightsin 4-star hotels
- 16 meals: 9 breakfasts, 7 dinners and welcome drink
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers, other transportation and porterage
- Audio Guide
- Day 1 UK – Zagreb
- After flying to Zagreb, we will transfer you to Ptuj, Slovenia's oldest town, located on the Drava River.
- Day 2 Ptuj
- This morning, we'll head off on a walking tour of this unique town, which boasts a fascinating Roman heritage and a well-preserved medieval centre. The region is also known for its wine-making, so we'll drop by the Ptuj Wine Cellar for a tasting of some of its excellent wines.
- Day 3 Ptuj – Lake Bled
- A day of exploration will take you to Maribor, a former European Capital of Culture. A remarkable sight here is the Zametovka Old Vine, the world's oldest living vine specimen to still bear grapes. With a reported age of 400 years this amazing plant has more than earned its place in the Guinness Book of Records. Next, we're going to indulge in a glass of wine and a snack as we take in lovely views on a cruise on the Drava River. After disembarking you'll have some free time to explore Maribor at your own pace before we make our way by road to Bled.
- Day 4 Lake Bled
- You're going to experience Lake Bled's abundance of natural beauty today on a sightseeing tour. Firstly, we'll take a cruise on the lake and visit St Mary's Church, which is set on an island surrounded by the emerald-green waters. After this we'll drive to Bled Castle, located on a cliff offering beautiful lake views. Finally, we're going to head to the charming town of Radovljica, which is home to many well-preserved historic buildingsand the VintgarCanyon. This evening, why not enjoy a stroll andsee if you can find a restaurant with lake views in which to enjoy dinner.
- Day 5 Lake Bled – Opatija
- Today you're going to discover Slovenia's capital Ljubljana, one of Europe's oldest. You'll have plenty of free time to take a stroll around its centre, where Baroque buildings and ancient ramparts are overlooked by a grand castle.
Our sightseeing takes a different turn this afternoon, when we arrive at the Postojna Caves, carved over thousands of years by the Pivka River. We'll head into the depths of these caverns by train on an eerie journey which takes us past incredible stalactites and stalagmites and sculpted galleries of rock.
In the evening, we'll leave Slovenia behind and head to neighbouring Croatia, where your hotel is in the lovely seaside resort of Opatija.
- Day 6 Opatija – at Leisure
- Relaxation is on the cards today, with a full day to spend at leisure, or take a stroll along the seven mile coastal promenade known as Loungomare that runs along the front of your hotel.
If you're still raring to go, an optional excursion will introduce you to the many delights of the Istria region.
A journey by road will give you the chance to relax as you admire the scenic Mirna River valley and the medieval hilltop town of Motovun. A stop will then be made at a family-run restaurant for lunch. You'll then go on to discover pretty Rovinj, where you can stroll to the Church of St Euphemia to take in sweeping views of the Adriatic.
Opatija boasts a great selection of bars, cafs and restaurants offering lovely sea views,so why not head out and find yourself the perfect spot for dinner.
- Day 7 Opatija – at Leisure
- The choice is all yours today, you can enjoy a day of relaxation in your resort, or you can join an optional excursion. We'll head to Krk Island, which is connected to the mainland by a bridge. Highlights here include the Islet of Kosljun and its Franciscan monastery, the fortified town of Krk and medieval Vrbnik, where a wine-tasting is a welcome end-of-day treat.
- Day 8 Opatija – Zagreb
- We're heading to Croatia's capital Zagreb today but not before we delve into the wonders of nature at Plitvice Lakes National Park. This UNESCO-listed site is famed for its 16 lakes which are interconnected by a series of cascading waterfalls. We're going to explore by footand then take to the waters on a relaxing cruise on the largest lake, Lake Kozjak. As you go, admire the thundering falls and keep a lookout for an array of wildlife, including many species of birds.
- Day 9 Zagreb
- Get to know Zagreb on amorning walking tour,with highlights including the city's charming main square and impressive cathedral.
You can spend the afternoon at leisure if you wish, or come on an optional trip to Kumrovec, the birthplace of Marshal Tito, president of former Yugoslavia. You'll visit his former house and see the surrounding quaint cottages that are typical of the region. A stop is made at a family farm, where we'll enjoy a homemade lunch before we head to Trakoscan Castle.
This evening we'll get together and make our way to a restaurant for a farewell dinner of traditional Croatian cuisine.
- Day 10 Zagreb – UK
- Today you will transfer to the airport for your flight back to the UK.