Discover the 7 natural wonders of the world
There are some sights on our planet that cannot be described by words alone. There are some sights that can be photographed from every possible angle, including space, but the resulting images will not even begin to give you an idea of how that sight makes you feel when you see it.
Take the Grand Canyon as an example. This huge hole in the middle of the desert that has been worshipped since the dawn of civilisation, is credited with having mystical powers and somehow manages to capture the sunlight in a way that makes us question whether or not it was actually strategically placed by a person, thing, or possible superpower. It is without doubt a one off and impossible to capture accurately on film.
More famous than any Hollywood legend, yet seen in its majestic entirety by relatively few, the Grand Canyon is one of the 7 natural wonders of the world and it should be on everyone’s bucket list. Why? If you want to feel inspired, in awe, and reminded of just how special true beauty in nature can make you feel, then the Grand Canyon, or one of the other 7 natural wonders, can help you. These sights guarantee the ultimate feel good holiday. Let’s have a look in depth at the 7 natural wonders of the world and the best way to reach them.
Standing on the precipice of the Grand Canyon, looking at the desert floor, which is over a mile below you, while the opposite cliff edge is over 18 miles away, cannot help but fill you with a sense of wonder. This is the sight of nature untamed. Creatures live here happily, safe in the knowledge that human development won’t damage their habitat. Take in the bigger picture of absolute serenity, as well as concentrate on the little features from various viewpoints around this National Park and you won’t be disappointed. If you haven’t watched the sun set over the Grand Canyon, then you still have that utter joy to come.
As trips to the Grand Canyon are very popular, we offer a wide range. Here are a few of the very best:
- Best of the Canyonlands: This Trafalgar Tours package will take you on a short exclusive escorted tour of 3 popular canyons of the USA, including Monument Valley. However, for a more comprehensive tour of the USA, why not try out another Trafalgar Tours trip; the month long Trans-American Grand Adventure. It begins in LA, before taking in Yellowstone, Chicago, Washington and New York, making the trip to the Grand Canyon an interesting midpoint of this schedule.
- Canyon Country by Collette Travel takes in the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion National Park in Las Vegas. Enjoy luxury overnight stays and cultural attractions.
- Coast to Canyon Discovery by Titan Tours, is a package that shines a spotlight on the USA west coast from San Francisco to LA to Las Vegas, taking in the Grand Canyon along the way.
Witnessing the aurora borealis is one of the most sought-after experiences in the world. Picture yourself standing on a frozen ice sheet in the shadow of the Seven Sisters mountains in the Arctic. Whales will be thrashing about in the nearby ocean and penguins and seals will line the coastline in their hundreds.
As you take in the incredible sights, your face will be lit up red and green by the dancing ribbons of light that have appeared magically across the northern sky. You’ll smile a wholly satisfied smile as you mount the dog sled which will take you to a traditional Samva tent and a well earned hot chocolate.
The Northern Lights are caused when the sun’s charged particles enter our atmosphere and release a beautiful light. They are a popular bucket list item and with good reason.
The frozen North is growing in popularity and every year there are many cruises that will take you to this hostile, but incredibly beautiful wilderness. Here are some of our favourite packages:
- The Northern Lights and Polar Bears tour by Hurtigruten combines 2 popular sights; native wildlife and a breathtaking natural phenomenon. You will travel to the Spitsbergen national parks, as well as the Arctic Circle. Hurtigruten is the big name in travel to the far North. This innovative travel company has been established for over 100 years and even helped map the Norwegian coastline. They offer a huge range of tours in this part of the world:
- Iceland with Cox and Kings: A short break to discover the hot springs, incredible wildlife and vibrant nightlife of Reykjavk and the surrounding area.
- Land of the Northern Lights: this 2 week cruise from Titan Tours begins in Amsterdam, travels up through the North Sea and then explores the Norwegian fjords as an exotically- coloured sky lights your way.
It’s not surprising a waterfall should make it into the 7 wonders of the world shortlist and it seems reasonable that it should be the world’s largest. Victoria Falls is a main feature of the Zambezi River on the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia. The spray it creates, through the sheer volume of water that hits the pool 355 feet below, is what inspired the native name of this world wonder: The Smoke that Thunders.
Safari holidays are the best way to explore South Africa’s national parks in search of the big 5 in their natural habitats. A trip to nearby Victoria Falls is a must-see attraction for every safari itinerary. Here are some of our most popular South African tours:
- Colette will take you on a fortnights tour of some of the highlights of South Africa, including Victoria Falls. You’ll make your way through Cape Town, Johannesburg, Chobe and several national parks.
- Somak’s Big Game and Victoria Falls Triangle tour combines a week-long trip to marvel at the falls, with some hard-core Safari fun. With the majority of your visit taking place from a Botswana base, you’ll visit the Chobe Forest reserve and Hwange national park.
- Titan Travel’s safari package is a fortnight long and takes in the Chobe National Park, the Okavango Delta and the Moremi game reserve. This is a great way to enjoy a luxury safari experience in South Africa and take in the magnificent sight of the falls.
An enormous expense of coral and marine life off the coast of Australia, the sight of the Great Barrier Reef is so extraordinary, it’s almost hard to believe that this colourful seascape is actually here on Earth! It spans a distance of 1400 miles and is home to hundreds of different varieties of exotic fish. You can get a great a view of the coral through the clear waters on a boat trip, or why not get closer to the action, by booking a diving trip? Aspen travel can get you to this enormous expense of natural beauty and change the way you look at the ocean forever.
One of the most incredible sights in the southern hemisphere, the Great Barrier Reef is a protected conservation area that welcomes tourists. It’s important that we see the beauty of the places we need to save in order to understand why they need to be saved. Here are some of our best packages to the area.
- Temples, Dragons and the Great Barrier Reef: Titan Tours offers this two week cruise from Bali to Australia to show you the incredible diversity of wildlife that exists between the two countries. You’ll see elephants and Komodo dragons in Bali as well as koalas and kangaroos in Australia. On your way you’ll see the treasures that lie off the Australian coastline.
- Sydney, Reef and Rainforest: Trafalgar Tours will take you on a remarkable tour of Australia, that takes in Sydney, Hamilton Island, Cairns and of course, The Great Barrier Reef.
- Discover Australia and New Zealand with an emphasis on the glittering water in between, with Trafalgar Tours, who offer a number of different packages focusing on these two incredible destinations.
For many years it was known as the world’s tallest mountain and it is certainly the big name peak that climbers want to add to their list. Mount Everest is still a massive challenge and it’s a source of pride to many, to be able to say they scaled its heights, however you don’t have to rough it at base camp to enjoy its many charms. Located in Nepal, just marvelling at its splendour from afar is enough to be boast-worthy! Catching a glimpse of Everest’s highest point, whether it’s covered in clouds, or snow, is a joy that will transfix your gaze and make you unable to look away. It has to be seen to be believed.
Many people famously climb mountains because ‘they are there’, but there are more relaxing ways to enjoy the company of this enormous mountain. Let’s have a look at some of the best:
- Travelsphere’s Nepal, Rooftop of the World tour will take you to explore the colourful culture of Kathmandu and take you on a morning flight to Everest, so you can survey the mountain from the air.
- Discover Tibet with a Great Rail Journey package that takes in all the most popular destinations of China, such as Beijing, the Great Wall, the Terracotta Warriors and the pandas in Chengdu and combines it with a trip to Tibet, in particular Palkor Chode, from where it is possible to see Everest in all its extraordinary glory.
- Wendy Wu’s Himalayan Adventures offers a similar itinerary to the Tibetan leg of the Great Rail Journey tour, incorporating Lhasa, the Jokhang Temple, Potala Palace and Shigatse into the schedule, but with the additional highlight of a visit to Everest base camp. Discover the north face of this impressive mountain from part way up.
Rio de Janeiro in Brazil is home to one of the most spectacular places in the world to watch the sun set, and it is a protected conservation area. The bay contains more than 100 Little islands, each of them beautiful and home to an incredible ecosystem.
Anyone who has ever seen the sunrise or the sunset over the harbour at Rio de Janeiro will be able to recall the stunning image in vivid technicolour. It’s a mental snapshot of natural beauty that will stay with you for ever.
Brazil is a land of contrast and Rio de Janeiro is the shining jewel in its cultural calendar. Here are some of Aspen Travel’s favourite tours to this part of the world.
- Travelsphere’s Rio Carnival Winners Parade: Why not combine a trip to the harbour with something else that puts Rio famously on the map; the Rio carnival. This is a chance to see the very best of what this annual event has to offer. As well as explore Rio during your stay, you’ll take in key highlights of Buenos Aires, Mendoza and Santiago.
- Cox and Kings’s Wonders of the World tour will take you on an escorted tour of Argentina’s Buenos Aires and Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro. You’ll discover natural wonders as well as the charms of South Africa’s liveliest urban centres.
- Travel up the Amazon with Kuoni, whose tour begins in Manaus, known as the gateway to the Amazon. From here youll travel to Rio, to Iguacu national park and the city of Salavador.
This is a volcano located in Mexico, which is perhaps less known than the other attractions included on this list, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less beautiful, or important. What makes this volcano different from others, is that it has been observed by scientists for its entire lifetime, from 1943 to the present day. It’s last eruption was in 1952 and it now lies dormant. Its lifespan from start to finish has been well documented and it has been able to provide us with good practical knowledge of what happens to a volcano at every stage of its life.
Mexico offers many diverse pleasures to those who visit its beautiful shores. You can stay in a luxury, all inclusive resort, surrounded by western luxury, or you can choose to visit some of the worlds’ most ancient monuments and natural wonders. Here are a few of our favourite Mexican travel suggestions:
- Club Med is one of the biggest names in luxury resorts and a long-standing travel associate of Aspen Travel. It has two separate resorts in Mexico; Ixtapa Pacific and Cancun Yukatan, both family friendly and chock-full of state of the art facilities.
- Titan Travel’s Mexico’s Mayan Trail tour will take you on a trip in the footsteps of the Aztecs to discover ancient temples, thick jungles and tropical coastlines.
- Cox and Kings will take you on a tour of Mexico’s biggest rural and urban attractions. This will be a memorable fortnight, which will give you an unique insight into the culture, cuisine and charms of modern and ancient Mexico.
It’s never too late to start planning your holiday of a lifetime. In fact, the sooner you do it, the better. If you’d like to incorporate any of the 7 natural wonders of the world into your itinerary, or even try to book a schedule that includes an iconic destination you suspect should be included in the natural wonders list, please give us a call. Our friendly and dedicated team will be able to advise on the best possible itinerary for the dates you want to fly and the budget you want to spend. Please get in touch.