Explore bustling souks, unique historical cities, soaring mountains and sweeping Saharan dunes on this unforgettable African adventure.
- Return flights fromGatwick with British Airways
- 9nightsin 4-star hotels
- 15meals:9 breakfasts,6 dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guides
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Day 1 UK/Marrakech
- Today you'll depart on your flight to Marrakech, Morocco. On arrival we'll transfer you to your hotel for an overnight stay.
- Day 2 Casablanca
- After breakfast today, we depart for one of Morocco's most iconic cities Casablanca. A sightseeing tour is included, so you'll get the chance to see the imposing Hassan II Mosque the country's largest mosque, featuring the world's tallest minaret, at 210 metres. Stroll along the promenade in the stylish coastal suburb of Corniche Ain Diab, before taking in the Anfa and Habous districts, with their wonderful mix of French and Moroccan-inspired architecture. You'll also visit the central market, the vast United Nations Square and the art deco-inspired Mohammed V Square before dining tonight in a restaurant.
- Day 3 Fes
- Enjoy breakfast at your hotel before departing for Fes today. En route, a guided tour of the imperial city of Meknes once the capital of Morocco is included. Here you'll find the splendid 18th century Bab Mansour, the towering ornamental gate to the city. It's an impressive precursor to the sights beyond. Spend some time in the bustling souk before visiting the royal palaces and mausoleum of Sultan Moulay Ismail, whose grand plans for Meknes to be a great royal city make it such a memorable place to visit today. Next, you'll visit the UNESCO-listed site of Volubilis, with its remarkable Roman ruins. Ancient bathhouses, mosaic flooring and towering marble pillars form a stunning backdrop as you listen to your knowledgeable Local Guide explaining what life would have been like here at the this outpost of the Roman empire. For a truly authentic experience, you'll end the evening with dinner in a local riad a traditional Moroccan house built around an interior garden or courtyard.
- Day 4 Fes
- Embark on a walking tour of the Medina of Fes this morning, where more than 9,000 winding streets promise treasures around every corner. With ancient buildings dating back to the 9th century, you'll follow an expert Local Guide as you explore the winding lanes, alleys, tanneries and artisan shops that make up one of the world's largest medinas. A highlight is the view of the famous Fs tannery from the balcony of a leather shop, where you can observe the men hard at work treating and dyeing the different hides. Take some time to shop for leather goods before returning to your hotel. This evening, discover more of Fes at your leisure, choosing to eat in your hotel or at a nearby restaurant.
- Day 5 Erg Chebbi & Merzouga
- Today, you'll travel through the forested slopes of the Middle Atlas Mountains to begin your desert adventure in the majestic Sahara. The cooler climate in the mountains means you'll pass through a rare sight in Africa a ski resort, at Ifrane, before you travel past the vast palm groves of the Ziz Valley to arrive at the stunning sand dunes of Erg Chebbi, in the Sahara. Along the way, keep your eyes peeled for Barbary apes three-quarters of the species' world population lives in this area. Continue your journey to Merzouga which is close to the Erg Chebbi sand dunes. Tonight we will travel by four-wheeled drive to admire the sunset over the sand dunes. And for some authentic desert luxury, tonight you'll be spending the night in a comfortable Kasbah-style hotel at the edge of the dunes. There may also be an opportunity to have a camel ride across the dunes!
- Day 6 Dades Gorge
- After breakfast, travel to the heart of the Atlas Mountains and pass through the Dades Gorges and Todgha Gorge, with its deep cliff-sided canyons it's a breathtaking sight, with the walls of the canyon up to 400 metres high. Follow in the footsteps of the sultans as you travel the famous Route of A Thousand Kasbahs, where the ancient ruined fortresses almost resemble sandcastles in the distance. This evening, you can settle down to enjoy panoramic views from your hotel, in the heart of the Dads Valley.
- Day 7 Ouarzazate & Marrakech
- Today, we depart for Marrakech, first stopping at the former Foreign Legion outpost of Ouarzazate, often known as 'Ouallywood' because of its starring role as the exotic backdrop in so many well-known movies. Here, you can visit Taourirt Kasbah, an ancient citadel with almost 300 rooms, and perhaps you'll opt to visit a traditional Berber herbalist, to find out more about one of Africa's oldest cultures. There's also the chance to visit the Ait Benhaddou Kasbah, the most spectacular fortress in the south of Morocco. Used as a backdrop in films such as 'Lawrence of Arabia' and classified by UNESCO as one of the cultural treasures of the world, the buildings making up the kasbah are studded with crenulated towers and decorated with ornate geometrical motifs it's a sight not to be missed. As we journey towards Marrakech, we'll follow the winding roads up to the spectacular Tizi n'Tichka Pass, the highest mountain pass in Morocco, at 2,260 metres.
- Day 8 Marrakech
- After breakfast at your Marrakech hotel, join us on a full-day city tour of this spectacular and fascinating city. Dubbed the 'Pearl of the South', Marrakech sits in a lush oasis nestled at the foot of the snow-capped Atlas Mountains. Today, you'll visit the famous Bahia Palace, capturing the essence of the Islamic Moroccan architectural style, as well as the beautiful Majorelle Gardens botanical gardens designed by the French artist Jacques Majorelle. There's also a chance to marvel at the Koutoubia Mosque building, the largest mosque in Marrakech, with its 77-metre minaret, before sightseeing in the souks and taking in the bustling Jemaa El Fna square, with its dazzling array of orange juice stalls, traditional traders and street entertainers.
- Day 9 Marrakech
- Enjoy a day at leisure today perhaps you'll wander Marrakech's famous souks, or simply relax by the pool at your hotel. Alternatively, you might like to join our optional cookery class, learning the aromatic delights of Moroccan cooking.
- Day 10 Marrakech/UK
- Today we will transfer you to the airport for your return flight back to the UK.