From antebellum mansionsand the White House, this tour delves into the beginnings of modern America.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic
- 12 nights in greatqualityhotels plus 1 night in flight
- 8 meals: 7breakfasts, 1 lunch andwelcome drink
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers,other transportation &porterage
- Day 1 Atlanta
- Today you'll fly to Atlanta, and on arrival we will transfer you to your hotel.
- Day 2 Atlanta – Savannah
- This morning's tour includes Peachtree Street and the gold-domed Georgia State Capitol. Visits to the grave site of Dr Martin Luther King and a memorialdedicated to the civil rights leader, who was born in Atlanta, are further highlights. This afternoon we head to Savannah, where wewill eat traditional Southern fare at one of the most historic venuesin Georgia, the inn was first opened in1753, then a key meeting point for pirates and sailors alike.
- Day 3 Savannah – at Leisure
- You can set your own pace as you explore Savannah today. The city boasts more than 20 historic squares, shaded by oak trees and surrounded by elegant homes, charming churches and fascinating museums. Be sure to take in Chippewa Square, where scenes from Forrest Gump were filmed. You'll also want to spend time by the waterfront, where old cotton warehouses have been converted into galleries, antique shops, boutiques and restaurants. To see more of this city that is the epitome of Southern living and home to a wonderful collection of antebellum mansions, an optional sightseeing ride comes highly recommended.
This evening, why not make a beeline for the cobbled street alongside the river. It's home to a myriad of restaurants and bars where bands and musicians often play. Savannah is one of the few places in America where you can legally walk around with a drink, so ask for a 'to-go cup' and soak up the sociable atmosphere!
- Day 4 Savannah – Charleston
- Our journey to Charleston takes us first to the beautiful Magnolia Plantation House and Gardens, founded by the Drayton family in 1676,when they arrived here from Barbados.Through the cultivation of rice, the family amassed great wealth and later, during the American Revolution, their descendantsfought against British rule. We'll take a tour to learn more about the family and their home.
- Day 5 Charleston
- Founded in 1670, Charleston is built around a lovely natural harbour and distinctive palmetto palm trees line its charming streets. As we explore the Old Town together, highlights include the waterfront, the old slave mart and the exchange building.
You're free to make your own discoveries this afternoon. You could head to the historic City Market and spend some time shopping for souvenirs look out for stalls selling sweetgrass baskets and other handicrafts of African origin. Alternatively, a fascinating optional tour will take you on a cruise to Fort Sumter, where the first shots of the American Civil War were fired. You'll learn more about the history of the conflict and see a network of waterways, marshland and bridges along the way.
Charleston's restaurant scene is considered to be one of the best in the country, so why not head out this evening and sample some local specialities.
- Day 6 Charleston – Wilmington
- Today we head to Wilmington in North Carolina, set on the banks of the Cape Fear River. It's one of the USA's oldest seaports.
- Day 7 Wilmington – Richmond
- We're heading north today to the state of Virginia, where our base for two nights is Richmond, capital of the Confederacy during the American Civil War.
Today,Richmond isa buzzing city, located on the banks of the James River. Here, you willfindthe Virginia State Capitol, a building designed by Thomas Jefferson, and Monument Avenue withits statues ofwell-known Confederate figures. And if it's fashionable shops and restaurants you crave,be sureto make a beeline forthe historic district of Shockoe Slip.
- Day 8 Jamestown – Williamsburg
- Today you're going to experience the beginnings of modern America, starting in historic Jamestown, where the first British settlement was established in 1607. Next we'll visit Colonial Williamsburg, which has been faithfully restored to its original 18th century state. Set your own pace on a stroll which will transport you back in time. You'll see craftsmen and traders wearing authentic costumes and instead of cars, the only way to travel here is by horse-drawn carriage.
- Day 9 Richmond – Washington DC
- Your highlight today is a visit to Monticello, the magnificent home of Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States and author of the Declaration of Independence. After your tour, we travel onwards to Washington DC, our base for the next two nights.
- Day 10 Washington DC
- The capital of the United States of America, Washington DC, radiates outwards from the Capitol Building. On our morning tour we will see the White House, the US Treasury and many of the city's other famous landmarks. We'll pass the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial and the Washington Memorial, which stretch along the Mall to the Arlington Cemetery and the Pentagon.
Take time to make your own discoveries this afternoon -you could choose to visit one of the many Smithsonian museums located along the National Mall.They are allfree to enter and there's something for everyone, from the American Art Museum to the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum.
- Day 11 Washington DC – Philadelphia – New York
- Our final destination is New York City.En route we will visit Philadelphia, where we will have a tour.Philadelphia was the USA's original capital city and is where the Declaration of Independence was written, signed and introduced to the public in 1776. On our tour we'll see highlights including the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and the Franklin Institute.
- Day 12 New York
- Iconic sights are waiting around every corner in this exciting city, and your Local Guide will introduce them all on today's included sightseeing tour. Hotspots include the Empire State Building, Wall Street and the theatres on Broadway. You'll also viewthe One World Trade Center, the sparkling Chrysler Building, Chinatown and bustling Times Square. This afternoon, you're free to make your own discoveries of this fantastic city. In the evening you can choose to join our optional excursion to discover the bright lights of New York and the Empire State Building by night.
- Day 13 New York – UK
- Enjoy afinal morning exploring New York, perhaps heading to Central Park to soak up atmosphere from a horse-drawn carriage. Later,we transfer to the airport for our flight to the UK.
- Day 14 UK
- You'll arrive in the UK today.