If you want to see China’s most iconic sights, this excitingeight-day tour is perfect.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Air China (outboundvia Beijing)
- 6 nights in 4-star hotels plus 1 night in flight
- 14 meals: 6 breakfasts, 5 lunches,3 dinners and welcome drink
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and SpecialistLocal Guide
- Overseas transfers, internal flight,other transportation and porterage
- Audio Guide
- Day 1 UK – Shanghai
- Today you will fly to Shanghai.
- Day 2 Shanghai
- On arrival you will be met by a Local Guide and we will transfer you to your hotel. Shanghai is a fascinating city and at its heart is the Huangpu River and the famous riverside boulevard, the Bund, which is lined with magnificent former colonial buildings. Why not start your holiday with an optional cruise along the river this evening. You'll see many of the city's famous sights, including the Monument to the People's Heroes, the Oriental Pearl TV Tower and the dramatic skyline of the Pudong business district.
- Day 3 Shanghai
- Your sightseeing begins in earnest today with a tour of vibrant Shanghai, one of the fastest developing cities in China, if not the world. We'll introduce you to the busy Nanjing Road, said to be the world's longest shopping precinct and you'll also see the Old Town, the Yu Yuan Gardens and visit the ornate Jade Buddha Temple. Explore the famous waterfront of the Bund with its varied architecture, here you will enjoy an afternoon tea, an English tradition immensely popular in Shanghai. This evening you have a chance to watch the incredible Shanghai Acrobats. Be prepared for an amazing spectacle if you choose to join this optional excursion, which also includes dinner.
- Day 4 Shanghai – Xian
- After breakfast we're going to set off for the airport and take a flight to Xian, the 'City of Eternal Peace'. On arrival in Xian we'll visit its ancient and beautifully preserved City Wall before we transfer you to your hotel. This evening you have the opportunity to join an optional excursion to watch the famous Tang Dynasty show, with dinner included. The show you will see is performed by the world-renowned Shaanxi Song and Dance Troupe, the largest performing group in Western China, and promises to be truly entertaining.
- Day 5 Xian – Beijing
- Today's the day that you are going to see one of the world's most remarkable sights, the Terracotta Army at Li Shan Mountain. Discovered in the 1970s by farmers digging a well, this collection of at least 6,000 life-size terracotta figures was interred in 200 BC with the first Qin emperor. The warriors, representing individuals of the Imperial Guard, are grouped in battle order, rank by rank. Some are mounted on horse-drawn chariots and others are armed with spears, swords and crossbows. This dazzling display of Chinese military power is quite simply breathtaking. We then board a high-speed train and head to our next destination, Beijing. With a three-night stay here, we'll have ample time to discover so much of this fascinating city.
- Day 6 Beijing
- Beijing is an extraordinary city, where ancient temples and palaces stand beside the vast 20th century civic buildings created by Chairman Mao and his people. You're going to explore today on a sightseeing tour that will take you to Tiananmen Square, the largest public square in the world. From here we will pass through the Gate of Heavenly Peace into the incredible Forbidden City, the largest palace complex in the world. Prepare to be blown away by its size and the magnificent buildings that house the Imperial Palace from which China was ruled for hundreds of years. After lunch we'll take a guided tour of the Temple of Heaven, which was built during the Ming Dynasty in 1420. It sits within a vast park and during your tour you'll see amazing collections of Chinese bronzes, porcelain, paintings and other treasures. This evening is yours to enjoy at leisure, or if you want to carry on exploring, we offer an optional rickshaw ride along the city's narrow streets and alleys known as hutongs. In these traditional residential areas we will visit local families and learn about their day-to-day lives. We'll also head to a restaurant, where dinner is included on this excursion.
- Day 7 Beijing
- It's the final day of your holiday and there's another fabulous highlight still to come, a visit to the Great Wall of China. Winding its way through the hills of northern China, this iconic structure passes within about 40 miles of Beijing, and that's where we visit it, at Badaling. It's wide enough to allow five horsemen to ride abreast at this point, and you'll have plenty of time to walk along the historic ramparts. When we return to Beijing this afternoon, we'll head to the Summer Palace, which is surrounded by hills and set beside the Kunming Lake. You'll have time to admire the views and soak up its tranquil beauty. This evening, we bid farewell to one another and enjoy Beijing's most famous dish, Peking Duck.
- Day 8 Beijing – UK
- Today we will transfer you to the airport for your return flight to the UK. You'll arrive later the same day.