The ruins of Pompeii, Salerno’s wonderful Luci D’Artista lights display andthe Royal Palace of Casertaare just three of thehighlights on this festive tour of the Sorrento Coast.
- Return flights from Gatwick with British Airways
- 5 nights in a 4-star hotel
- 11 meals: 5 breakfasts, 1 traditional ItalianChristmas Day lunch, 5 dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and SpecialistLocal Guide
- Overseas transfers,other transportation and porterage
- Day 1 UK Naples
- After your flight to Naples, we'll transfer you to the pretty town of Vico Equense, on the Sorrento Peninsula. Your hotel here offers fantastic views over the Bay of Naples towards Mount Vesuvius.
- Day 2 Christmas Eve Pompeii & Sorrento
- Today you'll visit the exceptional archaeological site of Pompeii, which we'll reach by train. This infamous Roman town was frozen in time by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD, when it was buried by hot ash. You're going to explore in great company, as a Local Guide leads you through its maze of streets. As you stroll you'll get a fascinating insight into the last days of the people who lived here. You'll see villas still decorated with brightly painted mosaics, Roman baths and even bakeries that still have their bread ovens and flour grinders intact.
After your visit and time for refreshments, we'll once again board a train, this time headed for the lively resort of Sorrento. During free time here you can take in breathtaking views of the surrounding scenery, enter one of the resort's fascinating museums or take a seat at a pavement caf. The main square, Piazza Tasso, is the place to head if you want towatch the locals as they finish their Christmas shopping. You could pick up some last-minute gifts yourself – handmade leather goods and the famous limoncello liqueur are specialities here.
- Day 3 Christmas Day Salerno
- It's Christmas Day, so enjoy a leisurely morning before sitting down to a traditional Italianfestive lunch at the hotel. Later, we'll make our way to Salerno.A walking tour will introduce us to the city's historic centre,its atmospheric Christmas market and the magical Luci D'Artista, or artists' lights.This spectacular display of art, which usually follows four themes,fills the streets, piazzas and gardens, and is an enchanting sight.
- Day 4 Boxing Day Caserta
- This morning you'll take a guided tour of themagnificent Royal Palace of Casertaand its beautiful fountain-filled gardens. This is said to be the world's largest Royal Palace, and during your tour you will see the Bourbon Nativity in the Royal Apartment.
Later, enjoy time at leisure toexplore the enchanting medieval hamlet of Casertavecchia, adorned withChristmas lights.
- Day 5 Vico Equense at Leisure
- You can spend today at leisure or perhaps you'll choose to join our optional excursion. First we'lldrivealong the scenic coastline to the picturesque town of Amalfi, which is beautifully situated between the mountains and the sea. Its impressive Romanesque cathedral is said to hold the remains of St Andrew, so maybe ascend the flight of steps and take a peek inside.
Our tour then continues to the clifftop town of Ravello, which isperched high above Amalfi and offers spectacular views. There's free time to look around Ravello at your own pace and maybe take in the wonderfulgardens of Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo.
- Day 6 Naples UK
- We will transfer you to the airport today for your flight back to the UK.