Compare and contrast the delights of Western Greece on a tour which takes in the idyllic island of Corfu, the mysterious mountain-top monasteries of Meteora and Zagori’s traditional stone villages surrounded by nature trails and beautiful countryside.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host & Specialist Local Guides
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- A dedicated Just You representative to greet you at selected UK airports
- 7 nights in 3 & 4-star accommodation
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 5 dinners, including a welcome drink & farewell dinner
- Local Flavours : Get the chance to taste an authentically Greek liquor -Tsipouro brandy
- Overseas transfers, other transportation & porterage
- Day 1 UK – Corfu
- Arrive in Corfu and transfer to your hotel. Settle in and enjoy a welcome drink with your fellow travellers.
- Day 2 Corfu
- Begin your exploration of idyllic Corfu, an island frequently mentioned within Greek mythology, during an extensive guided tour. Highlights include admiring the Venetian architecture of Corfu town and enjoying vistas of the stunning coastline. We’ll also take you to Sissy’s Palace (also known as the Achilleion), a neoclassical mansion and museum with splendid gardens and intricate design motifs referencing the Greek hero, Achilles.Next up is a trip to the Kapodistrias Museum just west of Corfu town. Housed in the former summer home of prominent Greek statesman and diplomat Ioannis Kapodistrias, the museum tracks his life’s work and offers fascinating insight into Corfu’s history during the early 19th century.
Later, you’ll have the chance to join our afternoon trip to the one-time home of the Durrell family, followed by a delicious meal at a traditional taverna in the nearby seaside village of Kalami.
- Day 3 Corfu – Zagori
- Today, we’ll leave island life (temporarily) behind as we catch a ferry from Corfu to Igoumenitsa on the mainland. Once there, we’ll journey into the historically multicultural city of Ioannina, nestled on the banks of beautiful Lake Pamvotida. It’s been inhabited for millennia and boasts a fascinating mix of architecture, from ancient synagogues and stunning mosques to churches dating all the way back to the Byzantine period.Spend a few hours leisurely exploring Ioannina’s old town with its fortified walls and structures, such as Ioannina Castle and the Mosque of Veli Pasha. In the city’s newer neighbourhoods, you’ll find dozens of colourful cafs and lively tavernas, which are ideal for sampling a few delectable treats. Don’t pass up the chance to taste the local baklava, made up of layers of crisp filo pastry dripping in honey and walnuts.
In the afternoon, we’ll continue on to the gorgeous region of Zagori, one of the few remaining natural hidden gems in Greece which has been inhabited since ancient times. Get a chance totasteregional wines and tuck into homemade cheeses and authentic dishes during a relaxed dinner.
- Day 4 Zagori
- Step back in time with a local guided tour of some of Zagori’s 46 traditional stone villages, which are prettily positioned among dramatic peaks and enchanting forests. We’ll take you to Papigo and Megalo Papigo to soak up their old-world charm and learn more about the region’s geological wonders. We also enjoy local flavour with a Tsipouro brandy tasting.In the afternoon, you’ll have the opportunity to embark on an exciting optional river rafting experience in the impressive Zagori countryside.
- Day 5 Zagori – Meteora
- Today we’ll travel to majestic Meteora, a dramatic rock formation three hours’ drive from the heart of the Zagori region. Firstly, we visit nearby Kalambaka, home of the Metora monasteries, then move onto the town of Meteora. As well as its vast vistas of mountainous countryside, Meteora is also famously home to one of the world’s largest complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries. The UNESCO World Heritage structures (some of which are thought to date back to the 12th century) all perch precariously on huge natural stone pillars.We’ll tour the interiors of two of the monasteries and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding area and its otherworldly rocky towers. There will also be a nature walk following the trail used by former monks to connect the monasteries together. During the walk, a Local Guide will also educate us on the region’s unique flora and fauna.
- Day 6 Zagori – Corfu
- On your last day in Zagori, we’ll venture into Vitsa (one of the largest of the region’s villages) and follow its scenic downhill hiking trail across historic stone bridges and cobbled paths to reach the Vikos Gorge. It’s the deepest gorge in the world in proportion to its width, and we’ll pause nearby to enjoy a relaxing picnic of Greek fare. Afterwards, it’ll be time to get the boat back to Corfu for our final couple of days by the coast.
- Day 7 Corfu – at Leisure
- Enjoy a leisurely morning exploring the island at your own pace or join our optional nature walk. In the afternoon, there will be a chance to take in stunning views of Corfu town and its imposing fortress on a relaxing cruise. We’ll sail along the Bay of Corfu in a caique (a traditional Greek wooden boat) and cool off with a swim in the clear waters of the Ionian Sea.Finish off your Greek getaway with a farewell dinner in the hotel this evening.
- Day 8 Corfu – UK
- Transfer to the airport for your return flight to the UK.