This tour is perfect for travellers who want to discover the splendours of New England visiting all six states.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic
- 12 nights in hotels of a good standard plus 1 night in flight
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guides
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Day 1 UK/Boston
- Today you’ll fly to Boston. On arrival we’ll transfer you to your hotel in the newly developed Seaport District.
- Day 2 Boston & Ogunquit
- You’ll see many of Boston’s highlights on a sightseeing tour this morning. We’ll travel along the famous Freedom Trail and visit Beacon Hill, Quincy Market and Cambridge, home of Harvard University. Later we’ll head to Ogunquit, a charming beach town in southern Maine, where you’ll find quaint shops and lively restaurants. Whilst you’re here, be sure to take a walk along the Marginal Way footpath for fabulous views of the New England coast.
- Day 3 Kennebunkport, Portland & Bar Harbor
- First settled in the 1600s, the seaport of Kennebunkport was known for its shipbuilding and today you’ll see some of the town’s mansions, built by wealthy captains. Later we’ll visit Cape Elizabeth and you’ll see Portland Head Light Maine’s oldest lighthouse. Enjoy some time to explore the waterfront of Portland before our journey continues to Bar Harbor.
- Day 4 Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park
- On today’s visit to Acadia National Park you’ll see an incredible natural landscape of mountains and marshland, forest and rocky coast. The area is home to a variety of wildlife, so be sure to keep a lookout for whales, seals, peregrine falcons and more. Later spend some free time exploring the village of Bar Harbor. There are some lovely seafood restaurants here, so you’ll have plenty of options for dinner this evening.
- Day 5 Bar Harbor & Bethel
- This morningyou’ll have further time toexplore the rocky coast of Bar Harbor or simply relax in one of the many cafes and maybe enjoy aMaine blueberrysoda or a ‘Maple Leaf’ latte. Alternatively, join our optional excursion, a narrated cruise aboard the LuLu Lobster boatand see how the crew haul the lobster traps.Later we’ll drive to Bethel.
- Day 6 White Mountains & Fairlee
- You’ll see glorious New Hampshire countryside today, as we travel through the White Mountains and along the Kancamagus ScenicByway into Franconia Notch State Park. We’ll make a stop at Flume Gorge, a natural granite valley where you can walk along an 800ft boardwalk with walls towering on either side. Our journey continues as we drive into Vermont and arrive at the town of Fairlee.
- Day 7 Woodstock, Northampton & Hartford
- Your day begins with a visit to the quintessential New England Town of Woodstock. After time to explore the boutiques and galleries, we’ll head into Massachusetts and stop for lunch in Northampton, a charming town nestled in the foothills of the Berkshires. Later we’ll make our way to Hartford, Connecticut’s state capital.
- Day 8 Hartford & Newport
- Today you’ll visit the house where Mark Twain lived with his family and wrote his most important works. Then you’ll be able to shop for bargains when we stop at a Premium Outlet on our way to Newport, Rhode Island.
- Day 9 Newport
- On today’s tour of Newport, you’llsee the church where John F Kennedy married Jacqueline Bouvier and stroll through the narrow streets of the Old Town. You’ll also see some of the summer homes built by America’s wealthiest families in the late 19th century. We’ll admire Rosecliff, where ‘The Great Gatsby’ and ‘High Society’ were filmed.If you wish to you can join a visit to The Breakers, the most ostentatious mansion of them all. It was built by the Vanderbilt family and is a 70-room Italian Renaissance-style palazzo. Later you’ll have some free time to explore Brick Marketplace and the waterfront.
- Day 10 Marthas Vineyard
- You’ll take a ferry to Martha’s Vineyard this morning. This delightful island is where celebrities and presidents, past and present, choose to take their holidays and we’ll be staying overnight. We’ll take a tour of the island’s six small towns, which include elegant Edgartown and Oak Bluffs, with its colourful gingerbread cottages. Tonight you can soak up the atmosphere in the island’s lively bars and restaurants.
- Day 11 Plymouth & Hyannis
- After returning to the mainland by ferry, our journey continues north to Plymouth. You’ll visit the Plimouth Plantation where, in a recreated 17th century village, you’ll ‘meet’ the pilgrims who travelled to the New World on the Mayflower. Our journey continues to Hyannis, capital of Cape Cod.
- Day 12 Cape Cod
- On today’s journey you’ll travel along the beautiful Cape Cod National Seashore and make a stop at Chatham, home to Chatham Light. You’ll also have time to explore eclectic Provincetown, where the cafs are an ideal spot to enjoy lunch if you wish.
- Day 13 Boston/UK
- You’ll leave Cape Cod and head back to Boston this morning. You’ll visit the John F Kennedy Library and Museum and have free time for lunch and last-minute shopping at historic Faneuil Hall. Later we will transfer you to the airport for your flight home.
- Day 14 UK
- You’ll arrive back in the UK today.