Incredible rail journeys and the glorious scenery of the Scottish Highlands – the perfect combination for a wonderful break close to home.
- 4 nights half-board in a 3-star hotel
- 8 meals: 4 breakfasts, 4 dinners
- All excursions included
- Travelsphere Tour Manager
- Rail and coach transportation as described
- Day 1 Inverness
- Make your own way to Inverness, where your hotel is located in the centre of the city, just a short stroll from Inverness Castle and the River Ness.
- Day 2 Mallaig & Glenfinnan
- Your rail adventure begins after breakfast when you board the famous Jacobite Steam Train for a two-hour journey through some of Scotland's most spectacular scenery. The route, considered by many to be one of the world's greatest rail journeys, crosses the Glenfinnan viaduct, before continuing to the charming fishing port of Mallaig, where you'll make a stop at lunch time. Continue by coach to Glenfinnan, where you can admire the monumental tower that was built to commemorate Bonnie Prince Charlie both raising his standard and departing Scotland for France.
- Day 3 Kyle of Lochalsh
- Today you will embark on one of the most scenic rail journeys in the world, from Inverness to the Kyle of Lochalsh on the west coast. This magnificent trip takes you through some incredible scenery,across open moorland and through stunning valleys. Continuing by coach, youll discover Scotlands most romantic castle, Eilean Donan, situated at the mouth of Loch Long offering views across to the Isle of Skye. Why not stop for lunch before exploring the castle (entrance not included).Youll also have the chance to visit Loch Ness on your way back to Inverness.
- Day 4 Dalwhinnie Distillery & Strathspey Steam Railway
- Today you will visit the Dalwhinnie Distillery to find out about the traditional art of malt whisky distilling. Enjoy a tour, followed by a tasting of single malts and pick up some tips about how best to appreciate the wonderful flavours. This will be followed by a nostalgic trip on the Strathspey Steam Railway from Aviemore through the striking Boat of Garten to Broomhill the village that featured as Glenbogle in the popular BBC drama 'Monarch of the Glen'. Relax with a drink as you admire the wonderful views on this 90-minute journey. Spend this evening enjoying the surroundings of your hotel.
- Day 5 Inverness
- Enjoy a leisurely breakfast before checking out of your hotel and starting your journey home.