Spot Africa’s most thrilling animals, including the ‘Big Five’, on safari in Samburu National Reserve and the Masai Mara.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Kenya Airways
- 7nights in lodges and luxury tented camps of a good standard plus 1 night in flight
- 21meals: 7 breakfasts, 7lunches, 7 dinners
- Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Day 1 UK/Nairobi
- Depart on your overnight flight to Nairobi today.
- Day 2 Aberdare Highlands
- On arrival in Nairobi this morning, you'll embark on a wonderful journey through the city, out into the Great Rift Valley and on to the Aberdare Highlands. Your hotel is the former residence of an English couple and it has a lovely homely feel. You'll check in just before lunch, and an afternoon at leisure gives you time to settle in. Why not take a stroll around the gardens, laze by the pool or join your guide for a nature trek.
- Day 3 Samburu National Reserve
- This morning we're going to head to the Samburu district, where your lodge is situated close to Samburu National Reserve. There's time for lunch before you head off through the open savannah on your first game drive. Wildlife is drawn to the park by the Uaso Nyiro River, which cuts through it, so you'll notch up plenty of spots. Residents include lion, elephant, cheetah, giraffe and hippo, as well as more than 350 types of bird. There's a huge population of Nile crocodile too, and look out for rare species including the long-necked gerenuk and Grevy's zebra. Your safari ends in great style, as you enjoy drinks and nibbles out in the bush watching the sun set over this sublime landscape.
- Day 4 Samburu National Reserve
- You're up early today to head back into the reserve on a morning safari. After lunch back at the lodge, you can take it easy this afternoon. Why not laze by the pool or maybe watch for animals in the river from the viewing deck. Late-afternoon we head out for another game drive.
- Day 5 Lake Naivasha
- Lake Naivasha is our next destination, where your overnight lodge is located on the banks of the lake. Its grounds are visited by many species of wildlife, including colobus monkeys, whose distinctive black and white coats make them easy to spot in the treetops. During a free afternoon, take in the views from your private balcony, settle by the pool or join your Local Guide for a stroll.
- Day 6 Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Your day starts very early, but it's going to be worth it as you journey into the Masai Mara National Reserve. This famous park is home to an enthralling array of animals including the 'Big Five' lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo. It's also the setting each year for the great migration, when thousands of wildebeest and zebra cross the Mara River to the greener pastures of the Serengeti. You'll arrive at the wonderful Ashnil Mara Tented Camp in time for lunch. The restaurant overlooks the Mara River, which is home to a large, and vocal, population of hippos, so your wildlife spots start soon after you've arrived. Settle into your luxury tent before your Local Guide takes you out on a thrilling game drive. This evening, why not enjoy pre-dinner drinks round the bar's roaring campfire.
- Day 7 Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Sunrise is a great time to catch sight of wild animals, so we're going to head out into the reserve early today. Afterwards a truly magical experience comes in the shape of breakfast served al fresco out in the bush. When you get back to the lodge the rest of the day is free, until we get together for another game drive this afternoon.
- Day 8 Nairobi
- Today you're heading back to Nairobi, notching up more wildlife spots as you travel through the reserve. The long drive through Masai villages and shanty towns will reward you with fascinating snapshots of Kenyan daily life. Be sure to return the waves and smiles of children making their long treks to school! Once in Nairobi, we'll have lunch before checking into our overnight hotel.
- Day 9 Nairobi/UK
- This morning we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK.