The glorious fall foliage of New England, iconic cities and Niagara Falls – the sights don’t get much better than this.
- Return flights from Heathrow with BritishAirways
- 10 nights room only in hotels of a good standard plus 1 night in flight
- 2 Breakfasts
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Day 1 UK/Boston
- Depart on your flight to Boston in Massachusetts today. On arrival we'll transfer you to your hotel, which is located right in the heart of downtown Boston. With this fantastic city on your doorstep, why not head out to explore at leisure this evening. Many attractions and plenty of bars and restaurants are just a short walk away so you can come and go as you please.
- Day 2 Boston
- Today you'll discover the city that is known the world over for the political protest over the Tea Act of 1773, the Boston Tea Party. This event rallied residents of the North American colonies to fight for independence from Great Britain, and you'll learn more about this as we follow parts of the famous Freedom Trail this morning. The trail leads to a collection of historic sites including the Granary Burial Ground, where some of America's most notable citizens have been laid to rest. You'll also visit Beacon Hill, the city's charming historic district and we'll cross the water and head to Cambridge, home of the world-famous Harvard University. At lunchtime we'll make our way to the vibrant area around Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall, where restaurants, cafs and street-food stalls serve everything from pretzels to oysters. If you've worked up an appetite, there's sure to be something to tempt you! This afternoon you may wish to join our optional excursion to Fenway Park Stadium for an insider's tour – home of the famous Boston Red Sox.
- Day 3 Boston
- You can explore Boston at your own pace today. From your downtown hotel, Boston Common is easily accessible, or maybe you'll head to Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox baseball team, for a tour. You could also stroll along the harborwalk and take in views of the waterfront. With Boston offering some of the finest seafood in the world, heading to a restaurant for a long and leisurely lunch may be a tempting option.
If you'd prefer to join an organised excursion today, you've the option to visit beautiful Cape Cod, renowned for its delightful seaside towns, white churches, pristine beaches, lighthouses and breathtaking dunes. On the way we'll make a stop in Plymouth, and see the famous Plymouth Rock, said to mark the spot where Pilgrims first set foot in the New World in 1620.
- Day 4 Salem & Kancamagus Highway
- We're going to head north into New Hampshire today, but not before a guided walk through Salem, location of the Salem witch trials of 1692. A local expert will bring to life this dark period of history, when more than 200 people were accused of witchcraft and innocent lives were lost. During October, Salem hosts one of America's biggest Halloween celebrations, so there will be lots going on if you visit at this time.
Later we'll drive along the scenic Kancamagus Highway. Known as 'the Kanc', this beautiful stretch of road is one of the best places from which to see New England's exceptional fall foliage. You'll be amazed by the sheer scale of the spectacle as you take in views of towering mountains, hillsides and valleys swathed in a kaleidoscope of blazing colours. We're going to spend the night in North Conway, a village nestled amongst the White Mountains.
- Day 5 Vermont
- You've plenty of opportunities to soak up New England's glorious scenery today on a leisurely drive through the White Mountains and Franconia Notch State Park. When we reach Vermont, we'll make a short visit to Montpelier, the smallest state capital in the USA. We're going to visit Morse Maple Farm to see how maple syrup is produced, and if you wish, there's also time to visit the impressive Vermont State House. Later, we'll drive to Stowe for an overnight stay.
- Day 6 Montreal
- A journey by road takes us through the beautiful Vermont countryside to the Canadian border and on to Montreal. This bilingual city occupies an island at the junction of the St Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers and has a real cosmopolitan feel. On arrival, a sightseeing tour will introduce us to the cobbled streets and 17th century buildings of Old Montreal. We'll also step inside the city's most famous landmark, Notre-Dame Basilica, to admire its incredible dcor of carved wood, sculptures and stained-glass windows. The city boasts a great selection of fine restaurants and open-air cafs, which are easily accessible from your hotel. Or, if you fancy a spot of retail therapy, take a stroll along Catherine Street to discover well-known stores and upmarket boutiques.
- Day 7 Quebec City
- You're heading off to Quebec City today, the heart of French Canada and the country's only walled city. Standing on the St Lawrence River, it is an enticing blend of winding cobbled streets, ancient churches, Norman-style houses, stone buildings and public squares. Your tour will introduce famous sights including the magnificent Chteau Frontenac, which towers over everything, the Citadel and Plains of Abraham. If you want to take a stroll, the clifftop boardwalk offers spectacular views across the river.
- Day 8 Ottawa
- Our destination today is Canada's capital city Ottawa, where we'll take a tour to tick off the sights. Located on the Rideau Canal, its main attractions include the Parliament Buildings and the grand Fairmont Chateau Laurier hotel. At the heart of the city, the historic ByWard Market is full of shops, stalls, boutiques and restaurants a fabulous place to grab a bite to eat. We'll stay in the city overnight to give you plenty of time to explore.
- Day 9 Toronto
- This morning we're going to travel to Toronto and discover its highlights on a sightseeing tour. The 1,815ft high CN Tower dominates the skyline and is one of the world's tallest free-standing structures. If you wish you can ascend the tower for spectacular far-reaching views.
- Day 10 Niagara Falls
- Today you'll experience one of Canada's most iconic natural wonders as you head to the awesome Niagara Falls. The falls are a breathtaking sight no matter how you view them, but the chance to fly over them on an optional helicopter ride is hard to beat. As we head back to the hotel, we've time to stop in picturesque Niagara-on-the-Lake, overlooking Lake Ontario. This is often described as one of the 'loveliest towns in Canada', so see if you agree.
- Day 11 Toronto/UK
- Enjoy a little more free time to explore this fascinating city. Perhaps head to the Distillery District to browse the Victorian warehouses converted into galleries, studios and boutiques. You could even enjoy brunch in one of the lively cafs before we transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK.
- Day 12 UK
- You'll arrive back in the UK today.