Transylvanian castles, medieval villages, forested landscapes and ancient monasteries all have a tale to tell as you uncover Romania’s highlights and celebrate the New Year in this unique destination.
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 6 nightsin 3 and4-star hotels
- 14meals: 6breakfasts, 2lunches, 6dinners including New Year’s Eve dinner with drinks and music
- Travelsphere Tour Manager
- Overseas transfers,other transportation and porterage
- Audio Guide
- Day 1 UK – Bucharest
- After your flight to Bucharest, we will transfer you to your hotel in Brasov, the economic, political and cultural centre of Transylvania during the Middle Ages.
- Day 2 Sinaia & Bran
- Today we'll drive to Sinaia to visitPeles Castle, a masterpiece of German New-Renaissance architecture, considered by many to be one of the most stunning in Europe. Commissioned by Romania's first monarch, King Carol I in 1873, this was the summer residence of the royal family until 1947. Next we'll visit the Sinaia Monastery,built by Prince Cantacuzino in 1695 and named after Saint Catherine's Monastery on Mount Sinai in Egypt.
After lunch we'll head to BranCastle. Nestled in dense forest and surrounded by legend and mystery, it is also known as Dracula's Castle, and is one of the locations linked to the fictional vampire. Built in the 14th century, the castle actually doubled as an administrative building until it was gifted to Queen Marie of Romania in 1920. We'll then head back to Brasov for a walking tour of the town.
- Day 3 Sighisoara
- After breakfast, we'll head off ona scenic drive through idyllic Transylvanian countryside and medieval villages.
Our first stop is the medieval citadel of Sighisoara, where Vlad the Impaler, the supposed inspiration for Bram Stoker's creation, Count Dracula,was born. The town was settled by the Saxons in the 13th century and withits 14th century walls, towers and bastions it retains its medieval charm.
We'll take a walking tour inside the UNESCO-listed citadeland see the clock tower, the Church on the Hill and the house where the bloodthirsty 15th century ruler of Wallachia spent the first four years of his life. We'll end our tour with a tasting of four different local brandies in one of the town's wine cellars.
This afternoon we'll continue to Sibiu, where we'll stay for three nights.
- Day 4 Sibiu
- We're going to start our day of exploration with a walking tour of Sibiu, a walled citadel built in the 12th century by German settlers. Highlights include Great Square, Little Square and St Mary's Evangelical Church, a Gothic masterpiece with a huge, towering steeple. We'll also head to the Bridge of lies but be careful, legend has it that the bridge will collapse if anyone on it tells a lie!
We'll also visitthe ASTRA Museum, an open-air complex of more than 300 historic buildings, watermills and windmills. Here we'llenjoy a barbecue lunch, served inside of course!
Spend the afternoon at leisure, and after dinner this evening there's entertainment with live music.
- Day 5 New Year's Eve Sibiu
- You've a free morning to spend as you wish. Sibiu hosts a very popular winter market in its medieval main square, so a visit comes highly recommended.
Later, we'll head to the idyllic mountain village of Sibiel, where we'll be welcomed by a local family who will serve us a traditional lunch. Afterwards we'll visit the nearby Museum of Painted Icons on Glass.
Back at our hotel, there's time to get ready for this evening's traditional Romanianfestivities, a New Year's Eve dinner served throughout the nightwith wine and music.
- Day 6 New Year's Day Bucharest
- We'll top a leisurely morningwith a delicious brunch before we head back to Romania's capital, Bucharest. The route we take follows the curves of the Olt River Valley and offers stunning views.
On arrival in Bucharest, we'll head off on a sightseeing tour with a Local Guide, with highlights includingUnification Square, the Patriarchal Church, University Square, Roman Square, Victory Square, the Arch of Triumph and Revolution Square.
In the evening, why not take a stroll in the medieval Old Town before we head to a restaurant for a meal of traditional specialities.
- Day 7 Bucharest – UK
- Today we'lltransfer to the airport for our flight back to the UK.