Enjoy picturesque villages and spectacular scenery on this enchanting tour of the Austrian Lake District.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Lufthansa
- 7 nights in a 3-star hotel
- 11meals: 7 breakfasts, 4dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Audio Guide
- Day 1 UK/Munich
- Depart on your scheduled flight to Munich today. On arrival we'll transfer you to your hotel in St Georgen, a picturesque resort in the heart of the Austrian Lake District and close to Lake Attersee. You'll have plenty of time to explore this enchanting village at your own pace but first you're invited to a welcome drink before dinner this evening. During your stay youll be treated to a traditional folklore evening, and a cruise across the lake will also feature. Lake Attersee is the biggest lake of the Salzkammergut, or Lake District, and the largest that belongs exclusively to Austria. Its shores are surrounded by towering mountains and due to its depth it is 171 metres at its deepest its a popular spot for divers.
- Day 2 Hallstatt
- Your Tour Manager will host today's included excursion to the beautiful lakeside village of Hallstatt, which sits at the base of a mountain. Austria's oldest and perhaps most photographed village is famous for its salt mines, and this valuable commodity has been produced here for thousands of years. It is also known for its pretty pastel-painted houses which seemingly cling precariously to a narrow strip of land between the mountain and the lake. You'll see all of this and more as its small size means that Hallstatt is easily explored on foot.
- Day 3 Lakeland Tour
- You're free to explore St Georgen at leisure today. If you're an art-lover you will be interested to know that Symbolist painter Gustav Klimt spent many summers in the region, which inspired a vast majority of his landscapes. If you'd like to explore further afield, an optional excursion gives you the chance to see more of the stunning scenery of the Austrian Lake District. A particular highlight is Mondsee, where fans of 'The Sound of Music' film will recognise the church from the wedding scene. Further sightseeing in the picturesque village of St Gilgen, on the shores of the Wolfgangsee, rounds off your day.
- Day 4 St Wolfgang
- We'll take you to another lakeside resort today on an included visit to St Wolfgang. This is home to the legendary White Horse Inn, which was made famous by the musical comedy of the same name. Sat on the north shore of the Wolfgangsee and at the foot of Schafberg Mountain, this charming market town is a lovely place to enjoy a stroll. As you go, you'll find narrow, cobbled streets lined with tall, ancient buildings, and make sure you visit the church it boasts a spectacular carved Gothic altar.
- Day 5 Southern Bohemia
- Relax and do your own thing today, or you may choose to take an optional trip to Southern Bohemia. After crossing the River Danube into the Czech Republic, you'll find yourself in the lovely old town of Cesky Krumlov, recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Together we'll stroll through a maze of winding streets with 13th century buildings at every turn. You'll visit the Gothic Church of St Vitus and we'll take you up to the town's historic castle, perched above the Vltava River. Once inside, you'll be whisked back in time to the Renaissance as you wander through its courtyards and corridors.
- Day 6 St Georgen
- Take time out to discover St Georgen further today. If you're feeling active, the area surrounding your hotel offers a great range of leisure activities including mountain biking and walking trails. Maybe you'll walk into the village, where you'll find a small selection of shops, bars and restaurants. Or you could choose to take the short rail journey to Lake Attersee. Alternatively, why not join our optional excursion to a Austrian Brewery including a tasting, of course.
- Day 7 Salzburg
- Round off your holiday today with an included excursion to 'The Sound of Music' city Salzburg, one of Europe's best preserved historic cities. On your guided tour you'll learn that its old centre has hardly changed since the times of famous Austrian composer Mozart. Discover Baroque domed churches, merchant houses and hidden arcaded courtyards dominated by the Hohensalzburg Fortress. Other highlights are Mozart's Square, the magnificent cathedral and the elegant Mirabell Gardens. There's plenty of time to make your own discoveries too. Why not take a seat in a caf and indulge in the local tradition of kaffee und kuchen, or coffee and cake. If you fancy a spot of shopping, we recommend you make a beeline for the Getreidegasse.
- Day 8 Munich/UK
- Today well transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK.