Soak up the stunning scenery at six ‘secret’ beauty spots, and sample the wonderful wines and cuisine of northern Italy.
- Return flights fromHeathrow with British Airways
- 7 nights in 4-star hotels
- 11meals: 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 3dinners and welcome drink
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and SpecialistLocal Guide
- Overseas transfers,other transportation and porterage
- Audio Guide
- Day 1 UK – Milan
- Today you’ll depart on your scheduled flight to Milan, and on arrival we’ll transfer you to the spa town of Levico Terme.Yourhotel here is located close to the shores of Lake Levico, apicturesque mountain lake surrounded by lush forests.
- Day 2 Lake Molveno & Lake Caldaro
- Today you’re heading off to discover picturesque mountain lakes and take in exceptional views of the Italian Alps and Dolomites.The first stop on your included tour is Lake Molveno, which is located in a hidden valley at the base of the Dolomite Mountains and is noted for its clear waters. You’ll be allowed plenty of time to explore the surroundings of the lake, which hide an entire prehistoric forest.
We’ll then move on to Lake Caldaro. This is the warmest bathing lake in the Alps and is surrounded by green meadows and towering mountains. The area also boasts a long tradition of wine-making, and is known for the red Teroldego grape which produces deep, dark, fruity wines. Of course, a tasting is included as the final to our day of exploration.
- Day 3 Levico Terme – at Leisure
- Today has been left free for you to spend just as you wish. You might choose to laze in the sun and enjoy the hotel’s swimming pool, or perhaps you’ll stroll into Levico Terme. The public spa in town offers a huge choice of pampering treatments, so maybe today’s the day to treat yourself. Alternatively, you may decide to learn about the culinary specialities of the region during an optional cookery class. A local chef will teach us to make dishes such as strangolapreti and canederli, types of traditional gnocchi, and apple strudel – a popular dessert here. We’ll then sit down to enjoy the fruits of our labour during a three-course lunch.
- Day 4 Levico Terme – at Leisure
- Levico Terme is an elegant town renowned for its therapeutic springs. A day at leisure gives you the chance to make your own discoveries. You could simply enjoy some ‘me’ time as you relax by the hotel’s swimming pool. Alternatively, maybe you’ll embark on a hill walk among the town’s castles, or perhaps take a more leisurely stroll into the Old Town to discover local crafts. If you want to discover more, why not join our optional excursion to Trento. This lovely town boasts a dramatic mountain setting and is surrounded by the southern part of the Alps and the Dolomites. We’ll get together once more for dinner this evening. More local specialities will be on the menu as we head to a nearby restaurant.
- Day 5 Lake Idro & Lake Ledro – Lovere
- We’re on the road today, heading to our new base, the pretty resort of Lovere on the northern coast of Lake Iseo, squeezing in two more ‘secret’ lakes as we go. We’ll make a stop at Lake Ledro, whose deep-blue waters are surrounded by alpine scenery. This makes the perfect setting for our included lunch of local specialities at a trattoria in the resort of Pieve di Ledro. Renowned for its beauty, Lake Idro is tucked away in the valley of Sabbia between Lakes Garda and Iseo. We’ll stretch our legs along its shores and have time to take in the spectacular views from a lakeside caf.Your hotel in Lovereboasts a great position right on the lake, offering fantastic views.
- Day 6 Lake Iseo
- After breakfast we’re going to discover the beauty of Lake Iseo on an included scenic cruise around its islands. We’ll journey across the shimmering waters, past privately-owned Loreto and San Paolo, before stepping ashore on Monte Isola. The unspoilt ‘island mountain’ towers to 600 metres above sea level and is home to many pretty villages and hamlets. It is also famous for the Feast of the Holy Cross a magnificent celebration held every five years when the villages are decorated with thousands of paper flowers.You’ll have plenty of time to explore at your own pace before we make our way back to Lovere.
- Day 7 Bergamo
- You have plenty of free time this morning to explore your base, which is nestled between mountains and the lake. Amongst the attractions you’ll find in Lovere are a picturesque promenade, a medieval Old Town and a renowned art gallery. You might choose to take lunch in one of the many pavement cafs before we head off to the Lombardy region for anafternoon excursion. First we’ll enjoy a fascinatingguided tourof the Accademia Carrara, one of Italy’s main picture galleries, which is home to 1,800 works of art. After this, we’ll take the funicular to the medieval town of Bergamo, whose upper and lower sections are separated by impressive Venetian walls.Our tour ends at an historicice-cream parlour, famous for the creation of stracciatella. Thismilk-based ice cream has chocolate shavings running through it, and of course, we’ll sample a scoop or two.This evening, our farewell dinner is a three-course meal of local produce, which we’ll enjoy at the Al Rocol farmhouse. Using family recipes passed down through the generations, the chef will prepare dishes typical of the region, such as risotto with sausage and Scamorza cheese and fresh pasta with cherry tomatoes. Located in the heart of Franciacorta, one of Italy’s most famous wine regions, the farm also growsgrapes andproduces its very own Franciacorta wine.Widely regarded as the country’s finest sparkling wine and Italy’s answer to Champagne, we will of course enjoy a glass or two with our meal.
- Day 8 Milan – UK
- Today we’ll transfer you to the airport for your return flight to the UK.