Enjoy the best of both worlds as you spot exciting bird and mammal life in Tanzania, then relax on Zanzibar’s idyllic white-sand beaches.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Kenya Airways
- 9 nights in lodges of a good standard and 4-star hotels plus 1 night in flight
- 21 meals: 8 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 9 dinners
- Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Small group adventure – maximum group size of 12
- Day 1 UK/Dar es Salaam
- Depart on your scheduled overnight flight to Dar es Salaam via Nairobi.
- Day 2 Selous, Tanzania
- On arrival in Dar es Salaam there's another short flight to Selous, one of the largest and most important game reserves in Africa. You'll be met at the airstrip by your Local Guide and transferred to the Sable Mountain Lodge, where you will stay for four nights. You'll be welcomed with a drink and then introduced to your exciting surroundings. You'll discover that the lodge is perfectly located on a small hill offering excellent views of the game reserve. After you've settled into your room, make your way to the restaurant for an included lunch. Then the rest of the day is yours to spend as you wish, with an afternoon lazing around the lodge's freshwater swimming pool a tempting option. Late this afternoon it's a great idea to head to the tree house to look out for the animals that make their way to the lodge's watering hole. A sundowner in the bar before dinner also comes highly recommended!
- Day 3 Selous
- There's an early but exciting start to your day as you take a walking safari in the area around your lodge. With your guide you will head through open woodland and lush forest, using hides along the way to spot wildlife. We'll be back at the lodge for breakfast, and there's time to relax before heading out mid-afternoon on your first safari in Selous Game Reserve. At 56,000 square kilometres, it's roughly the size of Ireland and home to a rich variety of wildlife including one of Africa's largest populations of elephants. There are also some 150,000 buffalo, 40,000 hippos, 1,500 African hunting dogs, 4,000 lions and a vast population of antelope. Birds are also in abundance here, with more than 440 species recorded at the last count. As the reserve is so huge you're unlikely to see many people during your game drive. However, you should tick many animals off your list, including the 'Big Five' lion, elephant, Cape buffalo, leopard and rhino. Back at your lodge, a wonderful evening awaits as you are invited to enjoy a traditional Swahili buffet under the stars. As you tuck into the delicious dishes, which blend African, Indian and Arabic flavours, your chef will tell you about the ingredients used.
- Day 4 Selous
- We're going to leave the lodge early again today, enjoying a game drive as we journey through the reserve to Lake Tagalala for a boat safari. The lake is famed for its huge numbers of resident crocodiles, and your packed breakfast should keep you going as you notch up plenty of wildlife spots. Plenty of rare birds can be seen here too, including the African skimmer and the only recorded Humblots heron on the African mainland.
We'll enjoy a game drive as we head through the reserve back to the lodge, where a late lunch will be waiting for us. Once again, why not head to the lodge's tree house later this afternoon to see the animals which visit the watering hole.
- Day 5 Selous
- After a couple of early starts, you may choose to spend today lazing by the pool. The lodge has a lovely spa too, so a pampering treatment is another relaxing possibility. However, if you want to see more wildlife, you can head off on an optional full-day or half-day game drive.
- Day 6 Nungwi, Zanzibar
- We're flying to Zanzibar today, to enjoy five nights on this idyllic island lying off Tanzania's coast. Thanks to its tropical climate, all sorts of spices are grown here, earning it the name of 'Spice Island'. En route to our base in Nungwi, we'll stop at a spice plantation for a fascinating tour.
- Day 7 Nungwi, Zanzibar
- If you want to enjoy some 'me' time, you have come to the right place! Your small boutique hotel is located in a tranquil position, just a short stroll from Nungwi village. Perhaps you'll soak up the sun on the white-sand beach or as you lounge around the seafront swimming pool. Either way, gorgeous views of the azure waters of the Indian Ocean are all yours.
- Day 8 Nungwi, Zanzibar
- Today we're heading off to Stone Town, where a guided walking tour will introduce you to a place that has changed little over the last 200 years. In Zanzibar's main city you'll discover winding alleyways, bustling bazaars, mosques, palaces and extravagant dwellings adorned with brass-studded wooden doors. Your guide will also tell you about Zanzibar's history, and how it was once at the centre of the African slave trade.
- Day 9 Nungwi, Zanzibar
- There's more time today to enjoy your surroundings and soak up the sun. The beautiful beach and the warm waters of the Indian Ocean are just steps away. A stroll into Nungwi village is also an option.
- Day 10 Nungwi, Zanzibar
- The beach, the swimming pool or the spa where you spend the last day of your holiday is entirely up to you.
- Day 11 Zanzibar/UK
- Early this morning we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK via Nairobi.