The stunning Portuguese archipelago of the Azores offers a rich tapestry of splendid landscapes, from dormant volcanoes to therapeutic springs.
- Return flights from Gatwick with SATA Azores Airlines
- 7 nights in 4-star hotels
- 10 meals: 7 breakfasts, 3 lunches and welcome drink
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers, internal flights, other transportation and porterage
- Audio Guide
- Day 1 UK – Ponta Delgada, So Miguel
- Today you'll fly to Ponta Delgada on the island of So Miguel, the largest of the nine islands of the Azores archipelago.
- Day 2 Furnas
- Spend the day discovering Furnas, where your first stop is at Porto Formoso Tea Factory. A Local Guide will explain the history of this old factory as well as the process of tea making, before you sample freshly made tea and take in the amazing view over the plantations. Then we'll continue to the Pico do Ferro Belvedere for stunning views. We take lunch in Furnas Village, located in the crater of an extinct volcano, where we'll try cozido das furnas, a combination of meats and seasonal vegetables. Spend the afternoon at Terra Nostra Park, a splendid botanical garden which is home to thousands of species of plants and trees. The warm mineral springs here are known for their therapeutic qualities, so you may choose to take a dip.
- Day 3 Sete Cidades
- Today youre going to see the remarkable twin lakes of Sete Cidades, carvedinto a volcanic crater. Enjoy a stroll and make your own discoveries before wetake you on a spectacular journey across the islands central mountain range.After lunch, the ancient village of Bretanha is our final stop, and its herethat youll visit a pineapple plantation and maybe sample pineapple liqueur.
- Day 4 Faial Island
- We fly to the small island of Faial, where youllstay in Horta. Youll see the islands scenic highlights on an included tour,which begins as we journey along the coast and past the Serra da Ferreiramountain range. Stretch your legs as you take in lovely views of themagnificent bay and natural thermal pools of Varadouro. At Capelinhos youll see a mesmerising landscape formed by volcanic eruptions,and your day ends with wonderfully scenic views from Caldeira and the Miradouroda Espalamaca.
- Day 5 Faial Island – at Leisure
- If you love wildlife, this mornings optional whale-watching excursion is foryou. Firstly, an expert will tell you about the species you might encounter andwhy the waters surrounding the Azores are home to so many of these magnificentcreatures. The rest of your day can be spent at leisure.
- Day 6 Pico Island
- A journey by boat takes you to the island of Pico today, for a full day of exploration. Highlights include the lava-rock landscape of Arcos do Cachorro and a former whaling factory at San Roque. Take in the scenery as we head across the centre of the island, stopping for lunch in the old whaling village of Laies. Your return route takes you along the coastal road, and includes visits to the Whalers' Museum and the Church of St Mateus. We'll round off the day with a tour and tasting at a cheese factory.
- Day 7 So Miguel – at Leisure
- After flying back to So Miguel, spend the rest of the day here at leisure.
- Day 8 So Miguel – UK
- Today you'll fly back to the UK.