Cruise along Portugal’s Douro River, calling at elegant Oporto, the ancient city of Salamanca and a host of pretty riverside towns. Cast your gaze towards rolling hills and terraced vineyards and step ashore for tastings of the region’s famed port wine.
- Return flights fromGatwickwith TAP Air Portugal
- 7 nights all-inclusive on board 4-star ships
- 20 meals: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners and all drinks (excluding Champagne and selected wines)
- All excursions included
- Cruise Representiveand Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Captain’s welcome cocktail reception
- Farewell Gala dinner
- Onboard evening entertainment
- Day 1 UK/Oporto
- After flying to Oporto, the pace slows as you transfer to your river cruiser, your home for the next seven nights. Enjoy a welcome drink and dinner on board, followed by a night-time panoramic tour of Oporto.
- Day 2 Oporto
- Before you get too accustomed to life on the water, take the opportunity to join a tour of Oporto, the world-famous home of port wine. Stroll through the steep, winding streets of the old town, and head to Vila Nova de Gaia, one of the region's famous port producers, for a tour and tasting. As an alternative, you can chose to discover Oporto by tram, travelling as the locals do. Your journey ends at the Tram Museum and you'll even have the chance to sample a traditional Portuguese doughnut. This afternoon, explore Oporto under your own steam. Dinner this evening is followed by a night of dancing and folk music.
- Day 3 Guimares & Regua
- This morning we will journey by coach from Porto to charming city of Guimares whose historic town centre has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2001. Guimares is regarded as the birth place of Portugal and its extensive history is reflected in the variety of national monuments and historic buildings found within the city. With our guide, we'll begin the tour of this university town on foot to discover its historical treasures. If you're feeling active, an alternative shore excursion takes you on a hike along Oporto's coast, for splendid views of the River Douro and the Atlantic. This afternoon we sail the Douro Valley to Regua.
- Day 4 Barca dAlva
- A wine synonymous with long hot summer afternoons, fruity Mateus ros is produced in this region, join a tour of the town of Vila Real to wander in the beautiful gardens of Solar de Mateus. The town also boasts an impressive Gothic cathedral and a 16-arch Roman bridge. Spend a leisurely afternoon cruising through rolling hills, terraced vineyards, picturesque villages and the locks of Valeira and Pocinho. The pace lifts on arrival at Barca d'Alva as your evening entertainment comes on board in the form of traditional flamenco dancers.
- Day 5 Salamanca & Vega de Teron
- After breakfast we join an excursion to the ancient university city of Salamanca. Outdating even Oxford and Cambridge, you will find the city both culturally exciting and gloriously intimate. Explore the fascinating architecture of its elegant streets or take to the main square, said to be the most impressive in the whole of Spain. Another fabulous way to discovery Salamanca is by bicycle, and you have the chance to do that if you wish. You'll rejoin the ship for dinner and entertainment as you set sail for Vega de Teron.
- Day 6 Ferradosa & Pinhao
- The locks of Valeira and Pocinho are this mornings highlights, en route to Ferradosa. From here we join a port wine excursion and a tasting in a local quinta. Make your way back to your cruiser for a spectacular gala dinner, while your ship docks at Pinhao overnight.
- Day 7 Lamego & Oporto
- Today you may choose to relax on board or join our excursion to Lamego, a medieval town set against a stunning backdrop of lush vineyards. You'll be shown around the town, with its wealth of ornate Baroque buildings, including the shrine of Nossa Senhora dos Remedios its reputation for healing miracles attracts pilgrims from all over Portugal. A final afternoon cruise back through the stunning scenery will return you in style to Oporto. For your final night you'll be treated to a fabulous farewell dinner and a traditional folklore show.
- Day 8 Oporto/UK
- Your cruise comes to an end this morning, and well transfer you back to the airport for your return flight to the UK.