Observe polar bears in their natural habitat and go off in search of the Northern Lights on this unique adventure.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Air Canada
- 5 nights in hotels of a good standard plus 1 night in flight
- 10 meals: 5breakfasts, 3lunches,2 dinners
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- SpecialistLocal Guide
- Day 1 UK to Winnipeg
- You'll fly to Winnipeg via Toronto today. On arrival we'll transfer you to your overnight hotel.
- Day 2 Winnipeg to Churchill
- Winnipeg has a fascinating history, and your morning tour takes you to the Forks area, where its colourful past is very much in evidence. An interesting place to start is the Manitoba Legislative Building, which is made from fossil-rich Manitoba limestone and is full of mysterious Masonic symbols. Next is the French Quarter, where you'll see St Boniface Cathedral and visit Saint-Boniface Museum, which is dedicated to Franco-Manitoban culture. If you'd like to stop for lunch, this area has a diverse range of restaurants to choose from. Maybe follow this with a stroll around the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden in Assiniboine Park before we transfer you to the airport for your flight to Churchill. On arrival we'll check into our hotel, the family-run Lazy Bear Lodge. This rustic log building is the perfect base for our adventure in what is known as the 'Polar Bear Capital of the World'. We'll get to grips with local traditions tonight as we meet up for a welcome 'Arctic feast'. This will start with an 'Arctic spritzer' drink and include traditional local delicacies such as char, caribou and musk ox.
- Day 3 Churchill
- Polar bears are what you are here to see, and we're off in search of these amazing creatures today. We'll travel on unique all-terrain tundra vehicles, designed to have minimal impact on the environment while promising to get us close to wildlife. You're in great company with a team of tour leaders and adventurers as your hosts. Thanks to their years of experience they know all the best places to look for the wonderful wildlife that thrives here. We don't even have to stop our sightseeing when it comes to food. Lunch will be served on the vehicle as we continue to take in the incredible sights outside. Back at the lodge this evening, we'll gather to learn about Churchill and how its landscape changes with the seasons. We'll also find out about the history of Lazy Bear Lodge.
- Day 4 Churchill
- Churchill is a fascinating place. Inaccessible by road, polar bears sometimes stray too close to town and have to be humanely captured and 'jailed' until they can be released back into the wild. We'll pass the Polar Bear Jail today and then head to the Cape Merry National Historic Site. Here we'll view the remains of a defensive battery constructed to guard the river mouth. Your tour ends at the Eskimo Museum, for an insight into the history of the indigenous inhabitants of northern Canada. You can spend this afternoon as you wish. Churchill boasts a collection of unique shops, or perhaps you'll visit the Parks Canada Visitor Centre to learn about the natural history of the area. The thrills continue this evening as you experience dog sledding! First you'll get to meet the dogs and their musher and learn a little about the history of dog sledding in Northern Canada. Then it's time to take your seat and hurtle off through the snow on a memorable ride along the picturesque trails of Joe Bach's Ridge. A hot cup of tea and fresh bannock, a tasty local bread, round off this exhilarating evening adventure.
- Day 5 Churchill to Winnipeg
- You've a second chance to head out on the tundra today on a further included expedition to seek out wildlife. Hopefully you'll be able to tick off even more polar bear sightings. This evening we're going to get together for a farewell dinner before we fly back to Winnipeg.
- Day 6 Winnipeg/UK
- You've some free time in Winnipeg today, so why not head back to the Forks area for a spot of shopping and maybe some lunch. We'll transfer you to the airport later for your overnight flight back to the UK via Toronto.
- Day 7 UK
- You'll arrive back in the UK today.